17 November 2014

Shut It!

In book club the last couple of months, we've chatted a little about introverts and extroverts.  This month, we're reading a book about it:

"Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.  I'm excited to glean it (I don't think I'll actually read the whole thing because it's non-fiction, but gleaning is within the realm of possibility.)

I've known for a long time that I'm not as outgoing as a lot of people I know, and for the most part I'm okay with that.  I like staying home and writing or reading or watching TV shows no one else likes.  My husband is the same way, so it doesn't bother him either (except he watches movies no one else likes).  

From what I understand, I'm an introvert.  I know, you're shocked, right?  But I thought introverts were shy or socially awkward or sociopaths.  I like people and I like being with them.  According to this book, I'm an introvert because I'm rejuvenated by doing solitary things and being social drains me.  Completely accurate.

Conversely, (and quite obviously) an extrovert is someone who is rejuvenated by hanging out with friends and being social.  

I'd never heard this explanation before, but it makes a lot of sense and I thought I'd pass it along to anyone bored enough to read this blog.  Also, I really like the book's title.  

1 comment:

Kiwi said...

WOW! I thought we'd talked about this years ago. You can guess which one I am, right?