23 July 2017

Summertime and the Living Is Lazy

As far as productivity goes this summer doesn't rate very high.

Mostly, the kids have been breaking concrete with a sledgehammer, practicing piano, and waiting for 4:30 to FINALLY get here so they can turn on their screens and do some serious gaming.  I have been reading, writing, and getting hit repeatedly with the Hashimoto's stick. I've decided that Hashimoto's loves my life because it keeps trying to take it over. My husband has been working two jobs, so he doesn't fit in at all with what the rest of us have been doing.  (Or rather, not doing.)

There are two exceptions to our Summer of Doing Nothing:



My second novella got published in "The Pathways to the Heart" anthology!  Woo!  This is a big deal!  I would stand up and cheer it from the rooftops if I had that kind of energy.  Even if I don't shout it out, it's definitely worth a read.  You can find it on Amazon as a kindle or hard copy. At Seagull Book.  Or Deseret Book.  

My story is about a rancher in Oregon in 1888 who finds a few unexpected guests in his house who have nowhere else to go.  When he helps them find food and safety, he ultimately helps himself find happiness.  If you leave a comment on this post or on Facebook by August first, you may just be lucky enough to win a copy of this lovely book for yourself.



The second exception to this summer is that we're going on a road trip! We leave tomorrow for Colorado and then on to Mt. Rushmore.  In Colorado we're mostly doing research for the story I'm in the middle of writing - because I'm so dedicated to my craft I make my family give up part of their summer vacation for it.  In my defense, Fairplay, Colorado has some amazing history displayed. And none of us have seen Mt. Rushmore or Crazy Horse or the Badlands.  So, watch out South Dakota, here we come!

It's just a good thing we don't have to walk there, or I'd never make it.

2 comments:

J.Harmon said...

HI Mandy! I love that your story is set in Oregon! I love Oregon, I'm from Oregon! Congrats on a second publication! ~Janet Merrell

Katy said...

That's so awesone, Mandi! Congrats!! Have a wonderful trip! (We're currently on vacation in a place I happen to be writing about, too. As long as we pick good places, it all works out, right?? ;) )