09 June 2014

Killing Time

Last week was about the busiest I've ever been.  So much fun, but non-stop.

First off, we moved.  (And are still kind of moving.  Haven't cleaned the old place yet.) We are no longer shoved into a two bedroom sardine can.  Although, I'm impressed by how much we managed to squeeze into that sardine can.  Impressive amounts of food storage and junk.  Our new place is four bedrooms and even has a basement.  Sigh.  It's love.

Next, my daughter and I went to girls' camp.  Monday until Friday of 20 girls and women in a lodge.  Luckily, we had hot showers, so at least we didn't stink.  But we also didn't sleep.  At all.

One day at camp, we hiked a couple of miles down the mountain to a lake and got to paddle around it in canoes and paddle-boats.  The young woman I was with didn't want to go on the lake until a lovely sister missionary told us we should go look for the crocodile that lived on the far side of the lake by the trees.  We jumped into a paddle-boat and aimed right for where we though the critter might be.  More or less, we drove right to it.

"Oh!  Look at it!  It's so cute!"  About three feet long, floating quietly, and painted wood.

Our boat sailed right over the top.  "Blast!  Back up!"

We back peddled, but it was too late.  The croc had gotten its rope tangled in our paddles and every time we tried to move, we could hear the poor little guy thumping against the underside of our watercraft.  Then the rope got wound so tight we couldn't paddle at all.  We had to ask someone to row their boat back to shore to ask for a motorboat to tow us back to the dock.  We looked so pathetic.  It was the ultimate tow of shame.

When we got back to the dock, the lovely sister missionary said, "I told you to find the crocodile, not kill it!"  She said it with a smile, but I think she was sad anyway.

After a week of that sort of fun, we went home.  To a MESS.  My husband, in his generosity, had moved all the big things from our tiny place to our larger place, but hadn't cleaned up anything.  So, that's been my job.

To top it all off, I've been sick all week.  I have the kind of cough that gives me headaches from the force they require.  It's awesome.

No comments: