20 October 2016

Boring vs. Bored




For a blog my sister is starting, she asked me to write something about a day in my life.  And after writing it all down, I realized something.

I am boring.

That got me thinking.  Being boring is not the same thing as being bored. I am rarely bored.  If I have nothing to do, I read.  Problem solved.  Although, to be honest, I usually read when I should be doing something else.

Writing or talking about reading is boring, not only to other people, but also to myself.

However, in my eternal quest to be a better person, I've decided I need to read less, be interested in all the things I used to do before reading pushed them out of my life, spend more time listening to my children talk about playing video games (talk about boring!), and generally try harder not to let my tiredness lull me into doing things that are easy.  Because, as my last post brought home to me, my time on this earth is limited.  I should use it wisely.

But I've tried to give up reading before and I remember walking aimlessly around the house for hours at a time because I was so bored.  I'm fine with being boring, but I really don't want to be bored.

I can't be the only person that struggles with this: What is comfortable versus what is best.

Anyone have good advice about how to stay strong and suck it up and choose the right?  Cause it would seem I need some.

No comments: